Thursday 16 November 2017

Throw Back Thursday - Niagara Comic-Con 2016

In June 2016, I went to my first, and so far only, Comic-Con in Niagara Falls.  I arrived early for a good spot in line, only to realize I forgot to print off my tickets from my phone.  So I had to lose my place, and google the nearest library so I could print them off.  When I got back, the line-up was huge!

After I got in, I went and looked for the line up for Carroll Spinney, the long time performer of Sesame Street's Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch.  To my surprise, there wasn't much of a line up.  I got a photo signed and a picture taken with him as well.  He was nice to talk to, as we spoke about the early days and how he met Jim Henson.

Afterwards, I looked around some more.  After a while, I saw something I hadn't seen in years.  If you grew up in Canada as a kid in the 1980s, you would know the show Today's Special that aired on TVOntario.  What I saw the original puppet used of Sam Crenshaw, the night watchman, from the show.  Sitting there beside him was his performer, and well known Canadian voice actor, Bob Dermer.  I got my picture taken with him and we spoke about his work as well as the show itself.  I then asked if he could record a video with Sam for my Ottawa Senators Fan group, and he obliged.

It was a fun weekend.  I had never driven to Niagara Falls before, and as a bonus, didn't get lost.  I also got to see somethings that reminded me of my childhood and made me feel old!


Me with Carroll Spinney


A Pound Puppy.  I still have the ones I got as a kid.  I used to make stupid little movies with them with my PXL 2000 Camera.


The Sam Crenshaw puppet I mentioned earlier.


Said puppet, his performer Bob Dermer, and me.

Here is a link to the video that I asked him to do as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment