Saturday 14 April 2018

Le Rogers Hockey d'Hometown: Montreal

Two weeks late, but what the hell.  Made the drive up to Montreal for the final Hometown Hockey stop.  The weather was nice, so I only brought my spring jacket, only to discover everything was in the shade, so I froze my ass off a lot of the time.

I started the afternoon by waiting for Serge Savard.  I went up to him and he signed all my items.  I asked if it was true that he lit a newspaper that Scotty Bowman was reading on fire while they were flying.  He said it wasn't on a plane, but I don't have to believe him.

Next up was Chris Chelios.  During his playing days, he was rarely pleasant, but he seemed to have chilled since retirement, as he gladly signed a photo for me last year.  I wasn't prepared for how nice he was this time.  I asked how many he was willing to sign (expecting one or two at the most) and he said it was up to the volunteer running the booth.  She looked back at us with an "I don't give a shit" expression on her face and he signed all I had, except for the 92-93 Upper Deck card with his kids since he only signed it for them.  I also talked with him for a good 5-10 minutes.  I asked him if he saw highlights of Scott Foster playing for the Hawks, and I showed him the highlights.  It's amazing how people can change.

I took the opportunity to see the Stanley Cup that was on display.  Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me lift it.  Bastards.

I then waited in line for Darcy Tucker.  He somewhat begrudgingly signing two for me.  I guess he didn't like the fact I had a folder and cards on photo album paper, which I do to keep them organized, not for ebaying.

I then went to get Shayne Corson, and he was cool too.  I guy in front of me had him sign an original seat from the Montreal Forum, but a lot of the autographs looked like they were starting to fade.  That's why I keep things in binders and away from sun light.

A couple of days earlier, Mike Hoffman was appearing at a car dealership.  All he had were metallic pens so I gave him my blue pen to sign with, which meant I didn't have one for Montreal (which turned out alright, since everyone but Tucker signed in blue anyway).

Overall, it was a good weekend and I look forward to more road trips next year.  I'm still shocked how good Chelios was!

Mike Hoffman x 4
Serge Savard x 7
Chris Chelios x 8 (!!!)
Darcy Tucker x 2
Shayne Corson x 5













2 comments:

  1. Good score on Chelios--when I got him 20+ years ago he was pretty surly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen him sign during his playing days. He signed when he was an Assistant Coach with the Wings.

      Delete